Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Beautiful Story ~ Lovelier than Daylight by Rosslyn Elliott~ Review

A captivating story in a challenging time period, this novel quickly had my attention and interest. It's one of those stories that goes beyond the page to fill my mind with questions while I can't be reading. The characters are such that you want to cheer for them and see them succeed.

One of the things I loved the most about the book was the writing style and voice. I believe this book truly captivated the essence of years of practice and hard work and previous works of published fiction. Beautiful imagery and word pictures that didn't distract from the story is what sets this book above others I have read.

Now that I have read three books about the Hanby family, I am fascinated to know more and am a bit disappointed that this the final book in the series. Reconnecting with previous characters makes this novel that much more rich for the reader.

The romance was a great player in the book, though I almost wish it had played a stronger role. But the ending certainly makes up for any bit of lack I thought the middle might have had.

All in all, I am quite pleased with this latest novel find and have added it to my keeper shelf.

This review is my honest opinion, thanks to the author for my copy to review.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
More about the novel...

Susanna is a lady of principles who values family above all. Johann seems to represent all she despises . . . but appearances can be deceiving.

In 1875, Susanna Hanby is headed off to college in Westerville, Ohio, when she discovers her sister Rachel and Rachel's children have disappeared. Susanna suspects that Rachel's alcoholic husband knows more than he's saying and she vows to uncover the truth.

Johann Giere is heir to a successful German-American brewery in Columbus, but longs for a career in journalism in New York City. When Johann signs on as the supplier for a new saloon in Westerville, his and Susanna's paths cross and sparks fly. A fiery temperance crusader, Susanna despises Johann's profession, but she cannot deny the attraction.

When Susanna learns that Rachel's children have been indentured to orphanages in the city, she despairs that her family will be fractured forever. But Johann makes Susanna an offer she can't refuse--pitting her passion and her principles against one another.

If she can find a way for her head and her heart to be in harmony, a future lovelier than daylight awaits her.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds lovely! I love stories with vivid descriptions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this story a lot especially the setting-I don't think I've read much about temperance movements throughout the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...it's not a widely talked about subject. And Rosslyn did it very well. :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by, I love to hear from those who traffic my blog! Have a wonderful day. :)

FTC Rules

According to new FTC rules I must let you, the reader know, that all views shared on this blog are strictly my own. Books to review are either provided for me by the author, publisher or ones I have purchased and I am under no obligation whatsoever to present anything, but my true opinion on any product. I receive no monetary compensation for anything written on this blog. Any giveaways on this blog are provided by the author/ publisher and I am not responsible for any views they express in their work or on this site. Giveaways are void were prohibited and chances of winnng are based on the number of applicants. A random winner is draw when a book is given away.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Country Wildflowers kit by Laurie Ann