Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Great Story Depth ~ Truth Stained Lies by Terri Blackstock ~ Review


A fantastic hook, great writing voice and quick pace through the entire book. I thought the suspense was right up there among a couple of my favorites of the genre.

            To be critical, I thought the ending came a bit soon, or rather we found out who the killer was a bit soon, but as I read further, I thought it was tied up nicely without leaving me as though the ending was just extra words.

            Loved the subplots and deeper characterization into the secondary characters. It gave the story depth that impressed me and kept me working harder towards the ending and the transformation of these character’s lives. This is obviously the first in a series that will remain consecutive. The book, of course, gave the happy ending the reader is craving, but left it open enough for coming titles.

            The crime is not a complex plot. The true killer didn’t come as a huge surprise to me, but the characters really sold the novel. Being a blogger, I can certainly relate to opening my mouth up on line and then wanting to retract what I said. I thought the occupation of the characters was a break from the norm and cliché.

            Overall, I’m pleased with my reading experience. Loved the characters and I’m eager to spend more time with them in soon to be released titles. A must read for suspense/mystery fans.

            This review is my honest opinion. Thanks to the publishers through Booksneeze for my copy to 
review.



*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
More about the novel....

 Cathy Cramer is a former lawyer and investigative blogger who writes commentary on local homicides.
When she finds a threatening note warning her that she's about to experience the same kind of judgment and speculation that she dishes out in her blog, Cathy writes it off as mischief ... until her brother is caught in the middle of a murder investigation---the victim is his ex-wife. As her brother is tried and convicted in the media, and bloggers and commentators like her have a field day, Cathy wonders if she should have taken the threat more seriously. Cathy and her two sisters, Holly and Juliet, moonlight as part-time private investigators, working to solve their brother's ex-wife's murder. Juliet, a stay-at-home mom of two boys, and Holly, a scattered ne'er-do-well who drives a taxi, put aside their fear and lack of confidence to learn the art of investigation. But will it be too late to save their brother from a murder conviction, or his five-year-old son who's the killer's next target?

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for your thoughts, Casey. My book club is scheduled to read this in May. We are big Terri Blackstock fans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you'll have a great discussion with this one!

      Delete
  2. I enjoy most of Terri's books so I'm looking forward to this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree with you Anne. The latest one I really liked by her was Predator. You read Brandilyn Collins don't you?

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by, I love to hear from those who traffic my blog! Have a wonderful day. :)

FTC Rules

According to new FTC rules I must let you, the reader know, that all views shared on this blog are strictly my own. Books to review are either provided for me by the author, publisher or ones I have purchased and I am under no obligation whatsoever to present anything, but my true opinion on any product. I receive no monetary compensation for anything written on this blog. Any giveaways on this blog are provided by the author/ publisher and I am not responsible for any views they express in their work or on this site. Giveaways are void were prohibited and chances of winnng are based on the number of applicants. A random winner is draw when a book is given away.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Country Wildflowers kit by Laurie Ann