Friday, October 31, 2014

DREAMING OF: Living in the Country

It’s a dirt road dotted with barns, horses and cows. The stately old farmhouses and nothing but fields of rolling, green fields.

It’s a long drive into town. It’s being surrounded by fields, hills, blue sky and leafy green trees. The joy of leaving your windows open at night and only hearing the snuffle of cows, the chirp of birds and the boom and fire of Mr. John Deere starting in the morning.

There is peace to be found in this place. Where the only chatter at the end of the day is the family playing in the soft green grass of the wide yard. It’s the creak of the porch swing as the sun sets, sending bright, dwindling rays across the land and reminding you how great our God is. How amazing His fingerprints are across this landscape I love.

I’ve always been a country girl at heart. The farther I am from the neighbors, the more country the sounds, the more rural the area, the happier my heart is. The more at peace and the closer to God I feel.

Of course, one doesn’t always get everything they want in life. And sometimes God gives us dreams for a season and a contentedness and peace while we’re there. Right now I’m living in the city. Writing this in a very noise Panera.

You can imagine the difficulty it can be living in a place you wouldn’t ideally see yourself. So I’m in the suburbs. Listening to the neighbor’s kiddos playing ball in the street and the obnoxious dogs across the street play the tune of my rooster in the too-early mornings.

But I’m living another dream in this season: working for a literary agency. Working elbow to elbow with one of the more respected agents in the business. Can one complain while living this level of a dream? Certainly not! Would I claim to be? Never!

But until the day I can live in the country and raise my family where grass and not concrete surround us, I’ll continue to visit my friends who live in the rural areas of Colorado. Drink in the well water that fills my belly with the reminders of the home where I was raised and soak in the unfettered sunshine loving on the green and surrounding hills and red barns.

It’s a dance. A delicate display of willingness to let God work in my heart and soul while living in the city. For letting Him meet me even when I’m not constantly surrounded by the peacefulness of His creation—because you can’t escape it. No matter where you go or what you look at. He has granted me grace.


Somebody I’ll have that white farmhouse and red barn. Or maybe I won’t. But I do know this: His dreams for my life are amazing things. So I’ll keep dreaming. And loving on the country life. 

14 comments:

  1. Oh Casey, I love this. I'm a country girl through and through. We live on a dead end dirt road in the woods next to fields of corn and hay. I thank God every night I pull into the drive after work. I savor the moments and drink them in like a cold of refreshing water from the Father above. Bless you during your city season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Casey,

    I grew up in a small town of around 600 people. I also had the opportunity to live in the DFW area for 13 years. In 2007, The Lord provided a way for me to live in Colorado Springs for a year. He set me up for many Kingdom Connections. I know He is doing the same with you now. Treasure the journey. Many amazing things are in store for you! Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how God puts in just the right places for the right season. Because while I love and terribly miss my small town, I am so glad to have the opportunity the big city has afforded me--including meeting so many new people.

      Delete
  3. Stuck in the city also - though at least here there are enough woods and parks that sometimes I can delude myself. God is always at work wherever we are, and that makes it good, but I hear you - I miss the space, bare feet, raw, unpasteurized, unhomogenized, full butterfat milk - none of this glorified water from the grocery store (and that goes for "whole" milk too). Though we're Alice-Chalmers folk ourselves - only orange tractors for my family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Papa used to work for Alice-Chalmers! I have one of their tractors. Rachael you so completely described my every emotion! Kindred country spirits, I do believe. :)

      Delete
  4. Love this, Casey. :) I'm a small-town girl...which to me is the perfect mix of country and town. Thing is, I've been incredibly happy in big towns too...like London. I find I can adapt to wherever. But still...that small town girl will probably never fade away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your adaptability, Melissa. Wanna share some of it with me? ;)

      Delete
  5. I LOVE that! You described exactly were I want to live one of these days! Out in the middle of nowhere. XO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! Maybe we'll be the neighbors over the holler that you can't see. ;)

      Delete
  6. We were stuck in the city for 13 years but have finally moved to the country. I never realized how much of a country gal that I am until we lived in town. It's so peaceful at out here where we get to enjoy watching our horses run and hear the neighbors cows and roosters. I wouldn't change it for anything.
    ~Cindi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I don't realize how MUCH I miss wide open spaces until I get the chance to visit them and soak it all in. God's creation is awesome to be in and around. Feeds my soul.

      Delete
  7. Thomas joins a long list of local athletes — former 2015 nike air max pas cher Raven Ray Lewis is among the most prominent — and actors to earn roles in ads for fast-growing Under Armour, which now has more than $3 billion a year in sales. air max pas cher Thomas' photo shoot occurred on a Columbia ball field in September. "When he first got there, he was little intimidated," said his mother, Jodi Geyer, an accountant. "He played and did some posed shots. nike air max pas cher By the end, he was having a blast." He got a $100 Under Armour gift certificate and was told he could keep the cleats he modeled.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by, I love to hear from those who traffic my blog! Have a wonderful day. :)

FTC Rules

According to new FTC rules I must let you, the reader know, that all views shared on this blog are strictly my own. Books to review are either provided for me by the author, publisher or ones I have purchased and I am under no obligation whatsoever to present anything, but my true opinion on any product. I receive no monetary compensation for anything written on this blog. Any giveaways on this blog are provided by the author/ publisher and I am not responsible for any views they express in their work or on this site. Giveaways are void were prohibited and chances of winnng are based on the number of applicants. A random winner is draw when a book is given away.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Country Wildflowers kit by Laurie Ann