Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Excellent ~ Love Comes Calling by Siri Mitchell ~ Review

I don’t think I’ve giggled as much during a historical novel in quite some time. “Love Comes Calling” has an extremely memorable heroine in Ellis, an ADD young lady with the absolute best of intentions, but the biggest struggle in actually following through.

Written in first person, I think I laughed more in the scattered way of Ellis’s thinking more than anything. ADD was portrayed in the best way without being annoying in the presentation. Though there were moments, as a reader, I knew she was forgetting something which makes for a nervous moment during the reading. Ha!

History is well layered into the story blending well with the conflict surrounding prohibition, and don’t all historical fiction readers love a story surrounding the old switchboards and archaic phone system? Maybe it’s just me, but it’s rife with potential comedy and tension—which the novel had in spades.

I loved the love story. It’s sweet and simple, but breaks a cliché with our hero already in love with Ellis and Ellis running in the opposite direction—but you’ll have to read the book to find out why.

A truly enjoyable book, I read it in two days and loved every minute of it. Pure pleasure of historical fun.
This review is my honest opinion. Thanks to the publishers for my copy to review.


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


            Dreaming of becoming an actress, Boston socialite Ellis Eaton captures Griff Phillips' attention.
But while filling in for a look-alike friend at the telephone exchange, she overhears a call that threatens Griff's safety. With handsome policeman Jack Flanigan investigating - and her heart in a muddle - will she discover what might be the role of a lifetime?

7 comments:

  1. So happy you enjoyed this book too! I just loved it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading this one now and loving it! Ellis is hilarious! So different from the historicals I'm used to. I haven't finished, but I'm sure I'll highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beyond hilarious! And yes, Siri writes a very unique historical. Have you read her She Walks in Beauty? It has a different feel from this one entirely, but it's my FAVORITE Siri book by far.

      Delete
  3. I have read that one! It's my second favorite...after this one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! Have you ever read her contemporary romances? The Cubicle Next Door is another one of my favorites.

      Delete
    2. I haven't...I'll have to remedy that ;)

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by, I love to hear from those who traffic my blog! Have a wonderful day. :)

FTC Rules

According to new FTC rules I must let you, the reader know, that all views shared on this blog are strictly my own. Books to review are either provided for me by the author, publisher or ones I have purchased and I am under no obligation whatsoever to present anything, but my true opinion on any product. I receive no monetary compensation for anything written on this blog. Any giveaways on this blog are provided by the author/ publisher and I am not responsible for any views they express in their work or on this site. Giveaways are void were prohibited and chances of winnng are based on the number of applicants. A random winner is draw when a book is given away.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Country Wildflowers kit by Laurie Ann