Sunday, June 20, 2010

Devotional: This Road Leads Home

This Roads Leads Home
by Cathy Bryant, © 2010



There are many sayings about home.

"Home is where you hang your hat."
"Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home."
"Home is where the heart is."

The last statement is my favorite, because it reminds me of Jesus' words: "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Matthew 6:21, NIV)

I periodically have to do what I call a "Heart Check" just to make sure my heart is where it needs to be. It's sad, really. Christ has done so much for me. Why would I ever allow my heart to dwell on any other treasure?

Yet time and time again, I find myself holding onto earthly baubles that mean nothing in the vast span of eternity.

I don't know about you, but I want my treasure to be Jesus. I want my heart to be undivided in its love for Him. I want Him to be my home--the place where I hang my hat, my hope, and my heart.
* * *

For my first novel, Texas Roads, my husband wrote a beautiful song which is included in the storyline. The song is entitled This Road Leads Home. The lyrics so adequately capture the spiritual theme of my book that I asked for his permission to share them with you.

She was trav'ling down a road to a place she'd been before,


Though it was such a long time ago.


Broken and afraid, it seems she'd lost her way,


Lookin' for a place that she could call her own.




This road leads home where the Father waits for you.


This road leads home; have the faith to see it through.


You will find hope and peace when you fall down on your knees.


The Father is waiting there for you.


This road leads home.




When the struggles of this life leave you broken and afraid,


Your faith is shattered by the fear of the unknown...


The Father hears your plea; only He can meet your needs.


His holy heart's desire is to make you heart His home.




This road leads home where the Father waits for you.


This road leads home; have the faith to see it through.


You will find hope and peace when you fall down on your knees.


The Father is waiting there for you.


This road leads home.

 


The home that you are longing for is right before your eyes.


Keep your faith in Jesus; He will lead you to the prize--


Heaven is waiting for the faithful and the few.


His arms are open wide; He is waiting there for you.





This road leads home where the Father waits for you.


This road leads home; have the faith to see it through.


You will find hope and peace when you fall down on your knees.


The Father is waiting there for you.


This road leads home.


This road leads home.

© 2010; Words & Music by Travis Bryant

BIO:
A Texas gal since birth, Cathy lives in a century-old farmhouse with her husband and a phobia-ridden cat. Her debut novel, TEXAS ROADS, was a 2009 ACFW Genesis finalist and tells the story of a disillusioned widow's quest to find home. The book is available through Amazon.com. For more information, visit http://www.catbryant.com/

2 comments:

  1. How fitting that I should read this today.
    My teenage son and I are planning a move from NC to PA after Christmas. We're leaving this morning to go up for a week and check out towns, colleges, etc.
    People ask why I chose Lancaster County and one of my reasons is that I grew up about 45 minutes from there. Then they say, "so you're going home".
    Thanks for the blessing this morning and I would appreciate prayers for God's will in this decision and a safe trip. :)

    blessings to you,
    Doreen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your move goes well, so glad the devotion was timely, I really liked it when I read it too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by, I love to hear from those who traffic my blog! Have a wonderful day. :)

FTC Rules

According to new FTC rules I must let you, the reader know, that all views shared on this blog are strictly my own. Books to review are either provided for me by the author, publisher or ones I have purchased and I am under no obligation whatsoever to present anything, but my true opinion on any product. I receive no monetary compensation for anything written on this blog. Any giveaways on this blog are provided by the author/ publisher and I am not responsible for any views they express in their work or on this site. Giveaways are void were prohibited and chances of winnng are based on the number of applicants. A random winner is draw when a book is given away.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Country Wildflowers kit by Laurie Ann