Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Unexpected Romance ~ Be Still My Soul by Joanne Bischof ~ Review


            It’s a mountain romance with a very interesting twist…because technically the reader isn’t inclined to like the hero.

            How do you enjoy reading a romance where the hero is completely unlikeable? Surprisingly enough, that is exactly what I did: greatly enjoyed this novel. It’s an unconventional romance, but one the reader is aware of when they start the book. Honesty with the reader is so key in a novel where the norm is far from the expected and it kept me from becoming overly frustrated with this young man.

            The plot is one reason I loved the novel so much. The unexpected takes an ordinary setting, a tried and true plot and crafts it captivating.

            “Be Still My Soul” is a quick read, but a fulfilling one. The Blue Ridge Mountains make for a great backdrop for our characters struggles, contributing to their hardship, but also how they handle them. And I loved these characters. I know, I know a hero you can’t like, you ask? Read the book, I promise you’ll find something in Gideon to love, I know I did. By the end of the last page, I held every confidence in this young couple. That to me, is writing at some of its finest. Take a character you can’t love and believably change them before the end of the novel…? You’ll have to read the book to see for yourself. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

            This review is my honest opinion. Thanks to the author for my advance copy to review.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
More about the novel...

Night’s chill tickled her skin. Lonnie pressed her hands together and glanced up. He was even more handsome up close. Having grown up the shy, awkward daughter of Joel Sawyer, she’d hardly spoken to any boy, let alone the one who had mothers whispering warnings in their daughter’s ears and fathers loading shotguns.
 
Pretty Lonnie Sawyer is shy and innocent, used to fading into the background within her family, and among the creeks and hollows of the Appalachian hills. Though her family is poor and her father abusive, she clings to a quiet faith.  But when handsome ladies’ man and bluegrass musician Gideon O’Riley steals a kiss, that one action seals her fate.  
 
Her father forces her into a hasty marriage with Gideon—a man she barely knows and does not love. Equally frustrated and confused by his new responsibilities, Gideon yearns for a fresh start, forcing  Lonnie on an arduous journey away from her home in Rocky Knob. 
 
Her distant groom can’t seem to surrender his rage at the injustice of the forced matrimony or give Lonnie any claim in his life.  What will it take for Gideon to give up his past, embrace Lonnie’s God, and discover a hope that can heal their two fractured hearts?
 
Gideon only ever cared about himself. Now that Lonnie is his wife, will he ever be worthy of her heart?


*~*~*~*~*~*
Would you please consider rating my review? I'd appreciate the support through the Blogging for Books website. You're not obligated to sign up for anything, but your email is required to ensure a review is not rated more than once. Thank you!! :D

14 comments:

  1. I've realized lately that I usually end up loving books in which I have to learn to love the hero along the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So well said, Casey! I'm definitely interested and I rated the review! Excellent. :-)

    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and Casey, Bravo for the new background and the new picture!

    Beautiful.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you both counts, Ganise! I'll be sharing more about Joanne's book in a couple weeks. :-)

      Delete
  4. Wow! This is beautiful! Both the review AND your new look here!

    LOVE heroes that I'm not so sure about in the beginning, absolutely. Especially the ones with believable problems!

    Can't wait to meet Joanne next month at her book release! Woo-hoo!

    Blessings,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Becky! It was fun to put together and feels very Fall. :)

      Oh, I'm jealous! I've always wanted to attend a book signing. :D

      Delete
  5. Casey, I thoroughly enjoyed your review and am so thankful for the opportunity to see Be Still My Soul through your eyes! Such a treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm glad! I look forward to your next book. :D

      Delete
  6. Love the review AND the fabulous new blog look, VERY nice Case!! The new font title is so eye catching and love your picture added to it :)
    Hugs and blessings girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KARA! Haven't seen you in what feels like ages? How are ya? Thanks for the compliment, I like the look too. :D

      Delete
  7. Wonderful review, Casey!

    LOVE the new blog look, as well! Very nice! : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm extremely impressed with your writing skills as well as with the layout on your weblog. Is this a paid theme or did you modify it yourself? Either way keep up the nice quality writing, it's rare to
    see a great blog like this one nowadays.
    My website - my latest blog pos

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by, I love to hear from those who traffic my blog! Have a wonderful day. :)

FTC Rules

According to new FTC rules I must let you, the reader know, that all views shared on this blog are strictly my own. Books to review are either provided for me by the author, publisher or ones I have purchased and I am under no obligation whatsoever to present anything, but my true opinion on any product. I receive no monetary compensation for anything written on this blog. Any giveaways on this blog are provided by the author/ publisher and I am not responsible for any views they express in their work or on this site. Giveaways are void were prohibited and chances of winnng are based on the number of applicants. A random winner is draw when a book is given away.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Country Wildflowers kit by Laurie Ann