Thursday, April 28, 2011

I Was Hooked! Fairer Than Morning by Rosslyn Elliott Review

“An author to watch” has become an oft-used and over-rated phrase and because of that I try to avoid using it my reviews. I am making an exception in this case, because Rosslyn Elliott is truly an author “to watch”.

I was hooked from the very first line and the momentum didn’t end with that last line, each successive word blossomed into a novel I thoroughly enjoyed from beginning to end.

I was concerned for the plot at the first. With novels that abound in lyrical prose the story can often be lost in all the phraseology, but I was continually propelled through the book. Changes in pace and plot, character growth and development, even a few twists to where I thought the book was directed. The author maintained one story thread clear to the end in such a manner I couldn’t have quit reading even if nothing else happened until that thread was resolved.

Aside from a few places where I thought description was a bit heavy and I didn’t pay as close attention, I can say with complete conviction that I will be watching this author. Her writing is not only a treat to immerse myself in, but her plots, characters and story telling ability will lend her a place on my bookshelves indefinitely.

This review is my honest opinion. Thanks to the publishers for my copy to review.    

6 comments:

  1. I was really impressed by this one too! It had a very Dickensian feel which I totally adored and it's not a style you see everyday so I pretty much didn't quit reading this until I was finished, plus it was partially set in Pittsburgh so that was another reason for me to love it! Hahaha! Nice review Casey.

    XOXO~ Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, beginning to end it was a great story. I liked the tone and feel of it, but it didn't abandon good story principles either. Yes, you would like the Pittsburgh thing, wouldn't you. ;-) Thanks Renee! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good comments. We should get Rosslyn's book tomorrow.

    Rosslyn did a review for my blog on Family Fountain that was very interesting and well received.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WARREN, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. :) Thanks for coming by today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im a guy, so i admit not knowing much about those Amish fiction novels, but they are very popular with alot of folks. Richard from the Amish community of Lebanon county.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw that at the book store, I'll have to look into it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by, I love to hear from those who traffic my blog! Have a wonderful day. :)

FTC Rules

According to new FTC rules I must let you, the reader know, that all views shared on this blog are strictly my own. Books to review are either provided for me by the author, publisher or ones I have purchased and I am under no obligation whatsoever to present anything, but my true opinion on any product. I receive no monetary compensation for anything written on this blog. Any giveaways on this blog are provided by the author/ publisher and I am not responsible for any views they express in their work or on this site. Giveaways are void were prohibited and chances of winnng are based on the number of applicants. A random winner is draw when a book is given away.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Country Wildflowers kit by Laurie Ann