Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Swashbuckling, Swordplay and Sweetness Surrender the Dawn by MaryLu Tyndall ~ Review

The professional endorsement on the cover of MaryLu Tyndall’s latest novel reads, “Swashbuckling, swordplay and sweetness.” There isn’t a whole lot to add to that, but I will try.
I can always expect one of three things when I read a Tyndall novel: action/adventure, romance, faith and the sea. Okay, so of course that last one was thrown in there for fun more than anything.
But it is true. The story is crafted in such a way that the faith element is very organic to the story. It isn’t slapped on at the end or left for the reader to wonder, it is an intricate part of the story that never preaches, but always ministers.
Tyndall knows how to craft the rogue hero and I will admit to being partial to her “bad boy” hero types. I think her heroines gravitate there as well. The tension and chemistry in the romantic scenes is enough to soothe the heart of any hopeless romantic. And the “Surrender the Dawn” is not be found without the action of the sea, and the adventures of a privateer against the backdrop of the War of 1812.
From stem to stern, this book was enjoyable, a great read and a welcome diversion. Tyndall has crafted such a niche for herself and a voice in this genre, that I don’t see her going anywhere anytime soon. And may there be mutiny if she does!
This review is my honest opinion. Thanks to the author for providing my copy as an influencer.

6 comments:

  1. I loved this book, Casey. MaryLu is a great writer. In fact, over the weekend I read all 3 of the books in this series......loved them all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Jackie, you've been busy! But so glad you enjoyed them! I've loved all the books I have read by MaryLu. Have you looked for her books under M.L.?? It's the same author, just a different name (her initials)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Casey. I have read her Charles Towne Belle series, but need to find her Legacy, etc. series (perhaps, used on A.) and get them!
    Or perhaps our newly remodeled County library which just reopened today ..will have her books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked the line in your review, "never preaches, but always ministers." That's really cool. Great review. I'll have to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your wonderful review, Casey! I won this one on Amber's blog, and I can't wait to read it. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jackie, her legacy series is now out of print, but I believe MaryLu is working on getting them back into pring. You probably could get them used from Amazon or Powells. I LOVE her Legacy series!



    Faye, thanks! You would probably really love her books. :)


    Michelle, so glad you got a copy to read! Have you read the other books in the series? Not need to, just curious. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by, I love to hear from those who traffic my blog! Have a wonderful day. :)

FTC Rules

According to new FTC rules I must let you, the reader know, that all views shared on this blog are strictly my own. Books to review are either provided for me by the author, publisher or ones I have purchased and I am under no obligation whatsoever to present anything, but my true opinion on any product. I receive no monetary compensation for anything written on this blog. Any giveaways on this blog are provided by the author/ publisher and I am not responsible for any views they express in their work or on this site. Giveaways are void were prohibited and chances of winnng are based on the number of applicants. A random winner is draw when a book is given away.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Country Wildflowers kit by Laurie Ann