Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Fascinating Historical Romance ~ Rebellious Heart by Jody Hedlund ~ Review

“Rebellious Heart” is a new passionate historical hitting store (and personal) book shelves now and I think many readers are going to be swept away in this dramatic retelling of life several hundred years ago.
           
Sometimes it can be hard to read about experiences from a different period, romanticized or not, because of the accuracy the author puts behind the words. To know that such horrible things could and would happen to people during such a time makes it difficult, but also fascinating.
           
Talk about a love story! Susanna and Ben certainly cross more than a few lines for the expected and acceptable of their society standings of their day and in more ways than just their romance. But oh boy, the attraction and sizzle on the page when they were even in the same room together. Talk about great tension!
           
I didn’t find this one title my favorite, and I can’t really put my finger as to why to be honest. The story was good, the characters well fleshed out, and plenty of action to fill the 360 pages. Maybe it was the slightly disturbing history, maybe it was the combination of a deadline I needed to reach - either way, I still give high marks to the book and encourage historical reader fans to pick it up.

           
This review is my honest opinion. Thanks to the publishers for my copy to review.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
More about the novel...

In 1763 Massachusetts, Susanna Smith has grown up with everything she's ever wanted, except one thing: an education. Because she's a female, higher learning has been closed to her, but her quick mind and quicker tongue never back down from a challenge. She's determined to put her status to good use, reaching out to the poor and deprived. And she knows when she marries well, she will be able to continue her work with the less fortunate. 

Ben Ross grew up a farmer's son and has nothing to his name but his Harvard education. A poor country lawyer, he doesn't see how he'll be able to fulfill his promise to make his father proud of him. When family friends introduce him to the Smith family, he's drawn to quick-witted Susanna but knows her family expects her to marry well. When Susanna's decision to help an innocent woman no matter the cost crosses with Ben's growing disillusionment with their British rulers, the two find themselves bound together in what quickly becomes a very dangerous fight for justice.

9 comments:

  1. I loved this one so much! I think part of what I loved so much is that it's romance between two people who came to be friends and really respect each other...there was a solidness to their relationship that I really loved. And of course, the fact that it's based on John and Abigail Adams is just great. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, wasn't their love story sweet? I still favor A Noble Groom as my absolute favorite, but I agree, once I got to the end of the story I had complete confidence that their love story wasn't going anywhere. ;-)

      Delete
  2. I had the same experience you did. . .it was like everything about the book was perfect, but I didn't connect to, if that's the right way to explain it. But I loved A Noble Groom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, that's a good way of putting. I enjoyed the story, but one read is enough. After A Noble Groom, this one didn't *completely* satisfy. :)

      Delete
  3. Will have to take a look at this one. :) Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! It's one worth looking up as are her other titles!

      Delete
  4. I will have to take a look at that. The cover is certainly very intriguing. I hope it matches the content

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like that this book is based on real people, have read many good things about the book, & author, & I Iike the storyline.

    Thanks for the review, Casey!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by, I love to hear from those who traffic my blog! Have a wonderful day. :)

FTC Rules

According to new FTC rules I must let you, the reader know, that all views shared on this blog are strictly my own. Books to review are either provided for me by the author, publisher or ones I have purchased and I am under no obligation whatsoever to present anything, but my true opinion on any product. I receive no monetary compensation for anything written on this blog. Any giveaways on this blog are provided by the author/ publisher and I am not responsible for any views they express in their work or on this site. Giveaways are void were prohibited and chances of winnng are based on the number of applicants. A random winner is draw when a book is given away.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Country Wildflowers kit by Laurie Ann