Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Modesty- A Matter of the Heart

What does it mean to be pure and modest on all counts? And just where does it start?

When I dress, I choose clothing that is concealing, not revealing. Not only have I been raised to be modest, I believe in my heart and soul that God wants me to save myself in every way for my future husband.

Why show the merchandise if it isn’t for sale? That is the problem with girls in today’s society. They long to be noticed, accepted and they try to show off those “assets” to garner attention. But the guys that are going to be attracted to that are the last ones you want to be around. They have no respect for your body; they just want what you are selling.

Being pure and modest is an issue of the heart as well as the body.

I don’t flaunt my body, I don’t ask for that kind of attention, but it seemed I never saw a response for my efforts. But I don’t know that. There is no way of knowing that. Then God opened my eyes. I was blog hopping and came across a couple of young men that appreciate modesty and they are only two of many. Do you know what that means to me? I can talk all day long about being pure and modest and mean every word of it, but when I see that someone out there values it, it pushes me to continue down this path.

Christ never promised it would be easy.

Being modest is hard in today’s society. Everywhere you turn you see inappropriate clothing and scantily clothed bodies. It is never ending! But that is where the verse, in this world but not of it plays a huge role.

You don’t have to wear a bonnet and cape dress to be modest. You don’t have to wear skirts seven days a week-- clothing can turn into a religion. Instead dress in tasteful layers. Clothing that fits and doesn’t shift south when you move. I never said you had to look frumpish to be modest.

What you do need to wear is a pure heart before the King of Kings. True modesty doesn’t start on the outside, it is a matter of the heart. You can be completely covered, but if you are begging for attention, it will shine through your attitude.

What a relief it is on the eyes and the spirit when I see modest, tasteful dressing. You can spot it a thousand yards away.

True modesty is an issue of the heart as much as the clothing you wear. The love of Christ will shine through your life and all outward appearances will be a reflection of that inner spirit. And the young man or even your husband that is waiting for you, will see that modesty for what it truly is: inner beauty.

Tomorrow is Part 2 with an interview with fellow blogger, Josh Regan on why he values modest young women, but until then I leave you with this parting message:

Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is PURE, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. Philippians 4:8

10 comments:

  1. Amen, Casey!!! Can't wait to come back tomorrow!
    See you then.
    Love Ya,
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it Ash! I hope to have the interview back by tomorrow. :)

    This is definately an issue of my heart and very dear to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Casey,

    Love this article! I believe the same thing and It's hard to find other people who agree with you.

    If you want to know more about what guys think of dressing modest check out this link:

    http://www.therebelution.com/modestysurvey/browse

    It has questions like "Is wearing a bikini modest?" Some of the guys write what they think about it and some just say yes or no.

    It's really helpful. Check it out! It really encourage's you,(By the way all of them are Christian guys)

    Thanks for the encouraging post!

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that this is a great post! :) Thanks for the reminder and encouragement, Casey!

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with all you said...except this is not just an issue for the unmarried women...All women should be dressing modestly, but even married women who are not looking for attention often forget that they are showing way too much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good post! When this subject comes up, my husband always mentions how the question should be 'Why do you dress the way you do?'

    You're right, it is a reflection of the heart. The same can go for guys as well.
    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Victoria, I am glad you liked this post, and I have been on that site. It is good to know there are others that value our standards.

    @Mark and Amber, thank you for the comments, I am glad you came by to read and enjoyed it. So glad it encouraged you Amber!

    @Annette, I agree 100%. Modesty does not stop at age or marital status. It is just as important as a young woman to show modesty as it is for married women. They set the example for the younger generation

    @Karen, I agree that guys bear just as much of a burden for modesty as women/girls.

    Thanks everyone for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great thoughts, Casey. I appreciate this post and agree that we need to protect our brothers, although that doesn't mean its our "fault" if they fall into sin. Why would we want to stumble a brother in the Lord?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree Julia, completely and totally! I am glad you like the post. :) Thanks for coming by!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by, I love to hear from those who traffic my blog! Have a wonderful day. :)

FTC Rules

According to new FTC rules I must let you, the reader know, that all views shared on this blog are strictly my own. Books to review are either provided for me by the author, publisher or ones I have purchased and I am under no obligation whatsoever to present anything, but my true opinion on any product. I receive no monetary compensation for anything written on this blog. Any giveaways on this blog are provided by the author/ publisher and I am not responsible for any views they express in their work or on this site. Giveaways are void were prohibited and chances of winnng are based on the number of applicants. A random winner is draw when a book is given away.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Country Wildflowers kit by Laurie Ann