Thursday, May 26, 2011

Beyond the Borders with "People of the Book" by Kathi Macias (review)

In “People of the Book” the reader travels beyond the borders to a war torn country that hasn’t yet found their way in Christ. But all is never lost. I think that is what I took away from this book.

Saudi Arabia is not known for the kind understanding of Christianity and as I read, my heart went out to the people who want to know more about Christ, but are restricted because of their culture. There is a mix of Western (U.S.) culture and the characters that live here and the characters that live in Saudi. Their struggles reach across the miles to touch each other and the reader.

Through the entire book I got a sense of doom. There is a premonition hanging in the air above the characters that translates to the reader. But also a sense a hope, which removes the sting.

While I enjoyed those aspects of the book, I wasn’t as impacted as I have been by previous titles in the series, I felt it was lacking in areas where there could have been a higher emotional impact. I thought the start was slow and some moments of the book failed to capture my interest.

In the end, I can say I liked the book, it hasn’t been my favorite, but it has a good message. And the ending gives a tremendous sense of hope and peace.

This review is my honest opinion. Thanks to Cheryl at Pump Up Your Book Media for my copy to review.

4 comments:

  1. I have read "More Than Conquerors", "No Greater Love" and
    "The Ransom" by Kathi and enjoyed all 3. I can't wait to read "People of the Book". Enjoyed your reviewn and would love to read and see if I agree with you.

    misskallie2000nat yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to look for this book. I enjoy a good read and I'm also studying Egypt right now which somehow managed to spill over and include Arabia. ;) Good review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Kathi's latest. Proving once again how subjective reading can be, this was my favorite of the series. :) Maybe that's because I like the younger characters and how they are drawn together, despite the fact that you know it's not going to be the happiest story.

    Thanks for hosting Kathi during her VBT. She has two new books coming out in the fall, so I hope we'll be visiting again soon.

    Cheryl
    www.pumpupyourbook.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. MISS KALLIE, I've read two other books in this series and enjoyed them as well. :)

    ELAINE,I'm thinking it probably would! Hope you can find a copy to enjoy. :)

    CHERYL, I am always blown away by different taste--so subjective! But I do appreciate the chance to read the book, so thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by, I love to hear from those who traffic my blog! Have a wonderful day. :)

FTC Rules

According to new FTC rules I must let you, the reader know, that all views shared on this blog are strictly my own. Books to review are either provided for me by the author, publisher or ones I have purchased and I am under no obligation whatsoever to present anything, but my true opinion on any product. I receive no monetary compensation for anything written on this blog. Any giveaways on this blog are provided by the author/ publisher and I am not responsible for any views they express in their work or on this site. Giveaways are void were prohibited and chances of winnng are based on the number of applicants. A random winner is draw when a book is given away.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Country Wildflowers kit by Laurie Ann