Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Review: The Measure of Katie Calloway by Serena Miller ~ Review


“The Measure of Katie Calloway” is a novel that spans land and emotions, filled with colorful descriptions and finger-nibbling moments of unease.

            When you have an abused character it can be a challenge to make her likeable and not weak. Katie Calloway is no weak heroine. She knew what she wanted and she went after what she needed – to protect her life and that of her brother. I have tremendous respect for her in that role.

            The setting of the novel was one so well described I could smell the donuts frying on the wood cook stove and hear the whine of chainsaws. Such was the imaginary through the entire novel. The occupation of camp cook for Katie in a setting such as a logging camp was well done.

            However, there were several things about the novel that didn’t move me in my particular reader “needs”. I didn’t feel emotionally attached to the novel. There was a separation between reader and character and I wanted to get closer to Katie. Find out what she was all about and dig within her problems. I wanted there to be a bigger climax to the ending.  The story line felt like it deserved something more dramatic between Katie and her estranged husband.

            Though the novel hasn’t been my favorite, the love story ending did make me “ahh” and the historical descriptions were good.

            This review is my honest opinion. Thanks to the publishers for my copy to review.

            **Available October 2011 from Revell, a division of Baker publishers**


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
More about the novel...

Her heart seeks sanctuary in the deep woods. But will trouble find her even here?
The Civil War has ended, but in Katie Calloway's Georgia home, conflict still rages. To protect herself and her young brother from her violent and unstable husband, she flees north, finding anonymity and sanctuary as the cook in a north woods lumber camp.


The camp owner, Robert Foster, wonders if the lovely woman he's hired has the grit to survive the never-ending work and harsh conditions of a remote pine forest in winter. Katie wonders if she can keep her past a secret from a man she is slowly growing to love.


With grace and skill, Serena Miller brings to life a bygone era. From the ethereal, snowy forest and the rowdy shanty boys to the warm cookstove and mouth-watering apple pie, every detail is perfectly rendered, transporting you to a time of danger and romance.

2 comments:

  1. I'm reading this one now. Review to come on Saturday. : )

    Thanks for sharing your honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for coming by to share, Michelle. :-))

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by, I love to hear from those who traffic my blog! Have a wonderful day. :)

FTC Rules

According to new FTC rules I must let you, the reader know, that all views shared on this blog are strictly my own. Books to review are either provided for me by the author, publisher or ones I have purchased and I am under no obligation whatsoever to present anything, but my true opinion on any product. I receive no monetary compensation for anything written on this blog. Any giveaways on this blog are provided by the author/ publisher and I am not responsible for any views they express in their work or on this site. Giveaways are void were prohibited and chances of winnng are based on the number of applicants. A random winner is draw when a book is given away.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Country Wildflowers kit by Laurie Ann