Thursday, October 25, 2012

A Story from the Headlines ~ Borders of the Heart by Chris Fabry ~ Review

It’s a story ripped straight from our country’s headlines. Evil. Revenge. Fear. Desperation. Changed lives. “Borders of the Heart” is a novel that doesn’t leave many stones unturned in a touchy subject as illegal immigration.
            
The lyrical quality of this novel is outstanding. A way with words and especially dialogue on the page that has made me a fan of previous releases. I immediately cared for our hero J.D. and Maria as she ran in fear from something we aren’t sure of yet at the beginning of the novel.
          
  I’m not sure I’ve read many other cold-blooded villains as the one in this book. I was almost shocked the lines this man crossed in chasing after Maria. And that’s kind of where I lost track. I’m sure it was me, but I had a hard time following what was happening at a certain point. I knew of course why J.D. and Maria were running, but why was the villain chasing? It could be just me, but I thought elements surrounding their present circumstances could have been clearer. I wanted characterization to go deeper, trench deep into J.D. and what *really* makes him tick.
          
  Overall this hasn’t been my favorite book, very possibly because I’m not quite the target audience I thought I was for this title. Have you read the book? What was your opinion?
          
  This review is my honest opinion. Thanks to the publishers for my copy to review.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
More about the novel....

Desperate to escape haunting memories, J.D. Jessup travels from Nashville to Tuscan and volunteers on an organic farm. The hardened landowner has one prevailing rule: If J.D. sees an "illegal", call the border patrol. But when an early morning ride along the fence line leads him to a beautiful young woman named Maria, near death in the desert, his heart pulls him in another direction. Longing to atone for the choices that drove him to Tucson, J.D. hides her and unleashes a chain of deadly events he could never have imagined. Soon they are running from a killer and fighting for their lives. As secrets of their pasts emerge, J.D. realizes that saving Maria may be the only way to save himself.


4 comments:

  1. Interesting review -- I appreciate your honesty. And this is certainly a hot topic. I don't know if I'm this author's audience either, but I am intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, which was disappointing for me, because I've loved Chris Fabry's books in the past. This one just wasn't the case.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the review. I've not heard of this book. Sounds a little dark for my taste. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly. If you read romance/historical like I do, this one might prove a bit much for certain tastes and expectations

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by, I love to hear from those who traffic my blog! Have a wonderful day. :)

FTC Rules

According to new FTC rules I must let you, the reader know, that all views shared on this blog are strictly my own. Books to review are either provided for me by the author, publisher or ones I have purchased and I am under no obligation whatsoever to present anything, but my true opinion on any product. I receive no monetary compensation for anything written on this blog. Any giveaways on this blog are provided by the author/ publisher and I am not responsible for any views they express in their work or on this site. Giveaways are void were prohibited and chances of winnng are based on the number of applicants. A random winner is draw when a book is given away.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Country Wildflowers kit by Laurie Ann