Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Guest Review: My Sister Takes a Look at Pineapples in Peril by Cheryl Linn Martin


**Review by my sister--think I might have a budding reviewist in the making. ;-)**

Pineapples in Peril, hmmm a very intriguing title indeed. What kind of book is titled like that without some kind of mystery? There are so many things that I could go on about this book, but I will only name a few.

This is a very good book with some excellent morals we can learn from: like treating your siblings with love and respecting your parents. There were scenes in the beginning of the story where Leilani was disrespectful to her mom and brother and learned through the story to be kind and loving.

I really liked Leilani and felt her loss and victories. I felt like I was reading a "me" set in Hawaii: she loves mysteries, surfing and hanging out with her friends.

My favorite part of the book was when Leilani and her friends got locked in a old storage shed on the pineapple plantation and her little brother, Kimo, has to rescue her. My second favorite scene was when Leilani and her friends were spying in the dark plantation...creepy, but very exciting. ;-)

I look forward to reading more books in this series and by the author.

This review is my personal opinion. Thanks to the author for my advance copy to review.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
More about the novel...

Slashed, mashed, and left to rot . . . Pineapples reduced to a puddle of gross mush.

Thirteen-year-old Leilani Akamai pictures secrets, stakeouts, and spies in her future as she, along with her friends, Maile and Sam, solve their first real crime.

Unless, of course, Leilani's younger brother, Kimo, worms his way into the mix. Sleuthing belongs to Leilani and her friends. They are the only official members of The Hawaiian Island Detective Club.

Besides, Kimo has already ruined her summer. Gone are Leilani's days of hitting the waves. Surfing is out and she blames him for her broken arm, now in a clunky, itchy cast. To top things off, Kimo might interfere with the pineapple vandalism case at Tong Plantation and blow their entire investigation.

And the ugliness continues when Leilani's beloved surfboard ends up in the hands of her dreaded enemy.

Seriously? Can the summer get any worse?





23 comments:

  1. What a great title! Looks like a very fun read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She told me it was! Totally excited for book #2. :)

      Delete
  2. oh this looks like a fun book love your blog background page too thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I read about this book on another blog! Sounds fun! Yay for drawing your sister into the wonderful world of reviewing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I had fun with this one. Thinking we might have to coblog eventually. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for visiting, Melissa, and a HUGE thank-you to Casey for letting her sister do this blog!! There are lots of people out there who read it and let me know how great it was to have a 13-year-old read and review my book!

      Glad you saw a review on another blog--it's getting out there! Aloha! --Cheryl

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a fun story! I enjoyed reading your sister's thoughts. :) Please tell her I said "hi"!

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and commenting, Amber! I was thrilled when Casey offered to have her sister review Pineapples in Peril and totally excited when she let me know how much she liked it! Aloha! --Cheryl

      Delete
  5. Thanks for visiting, Holden J, and for commenting. I had a lot of fun with the titles. Book two is Menehunes Missing (releasing on February 5, 2013), and book three is Ukuleles Undercover. Aloha! --Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for visiting, Apple Blossom! The kids who have already read Pineapples in Peril have had lots of fun "exploring Hawaii" and being "detectives!" Aloha! --Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome review!!! I know this 29 yr old loves the Pineapple series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, well you probably should being the crit partner. ;)

      Hey, I missed you at ACFW this year, I was hoping to get a signed book. Hopefully next year, Lord willing!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Jessica! Yup, you've been a supporter since your critiqued the very first chapter of Pineapples in Peril. What a blessing you are! Aloha! --Cheryl

      Delete
  8. I roomed with the author Cheryl Linn Martin at the ACFW Conference recently. I think I uncovered a secret: Cheryl is Leilani Akamai! At least she has enough energy and enthusiasm to be thirteen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, she certainly does! She always makes me smile. :D

      Delete
    2. LOL, Clarice! I know I've said it before, but you should write humor!

      Thanks for commenting, and yes, I do have some of Leilani's qualities--especially her self-doubt at times.

      Ha, ha, Casey! I think your energy rivals anyone!! Thank you, your sister and Clarice, for sharing these fun times with me. Aloha! --Cheryl

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a great book. I love pineapples, great name for a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Norma, for taking the time to visit and comment. I happen to love pineapples, too! In fact, I just blogged about the various "pineapple" things I have around my house. Aloha! --Cheryl

      Delete
  10. Really good review. Certainly makes me want to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan! Lots of adults love Pineapples in Peril even though it's written for Middle Readers. Hope you do get a chance to read it sometime. Aloha! --Cheryl

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by, I love to hear from those who traffic my blog! Have a wonderful day. :)

FTC Rules

According to new FTC rules I must let you, the reader know, that all views shared on this blog are strictly my own. Books to review are either provided for me by the author, publisher or ones I have purchased and I am under no obligation whatsoever to present anything, but my true opinion on any product. I receive no monetary compensation for anything written on this blog. Any giveaways on this blog are provided by the author/ publisher and I am not responsible for any views they express in their work or on this site. Giveaways are void were prohibited and chances of winnng are based on the number of applicants. A random winner is draw when a book is given away.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Country Wildflowers kit by Laurie Ann