Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Sweet Love Story ~ When Hope Blossoms by Kim Vogel Sawyer ~ Review


A contemporary love story that I wouldn’t really call a romance, but a story that takes the heart of two characters and steadily draws them closer together.

            I thought the setting, a small Mennonite community and one bitter young man, was an interesting take on the “bonnet” fiction sect. I enjoyed that each character brought a struggle to the plot that crafted a sweet and surprising ending.

            Why don’t I call this novel a romance? Mainly because the story kept me in limbo the entire time, wondering if these two people would get together. I actually enjoyed this angle, because I wanted to see each one come together, they both have so much to overcome, primarily forgiving people in their past. You don’t have the typical boy meets girl, boy dates girl and boy loses girl equation and I enjoyed the “shake up”.
          
  It’s different than the expected prairie romance and don’t let the cover deceive you to think as such, but within the pages I’m sure many readers are going to find a cast of characters to jerk the heartstrings and entertain the soul.

            This review is my honest opinion. Thanks to the publishers for my copy to review.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
More about the novel...

Amy Knackstedt moves with her children to Weaverly, Kansas, to escape the speculation surrounding her husband's untimely death. She hopes the new location will provide a fresh start for them all. But her neighbor, Tim Roper, is not pleased to have a Mennonite family living next to his apple orchard. 

When the children try to befriend him, he resists. Tim left the Mennonite faith years ago and doesn't want any reminders of his former life. Yet Amy and Tim find their paths colliding far more than either could have foreseen. 

Will this tentative relationship blossom into something more?

8 comments:

  1. Yay! I love Kim Vogel Sawyer! I actually have this on my reading list for Nov. looking forward to it. Glad to hear you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I! I'm really excited for her At Home in Drayton Valley. Gorgeous cover!

      Delete
    2. Yay! I just received "At Home in Drayton Valley" in the mail yesterday! I don't know when I will have time to read it, but I will!

      Delete
  2. Great review, Casey. Sounds like a new angle on Amish romance. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought, though I thought for a chapter or so that I was reading a historical. ;)

      Delete
  3. This sounds like an interesting plot. I can't remember if I've read any of KVS' books. I enjoy reading your reviews. Helps me make the decision to read certain books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness, then you haven't lived yet! Especially if you love historicals. Pick up her My Heart Remembers, my absolute FAVORITE by her. Very Janette Oke. :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the review! This sounds like an interesting read. (Love the cover!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by, I love to hear from those who traffic my blog! Have a wonderful day. :)

FTC Rules

According to new FTC rules I must let you, the reader know, that all views shared on this blog are strictly my own. Books to review are either provided for me by the author, publisher or ones I have purchased and I am under no obligation whatsoever to present anything, but my true opinion on any product. I receive no monetary compensation for anything written on this blog. Any giveaways on this blog are provided by the author/ publisher and I am not responsible for any views they express in their work or on this site. Giveaways are void were prohibited and chances of winnng are based on the number of applicants. A random winner is draw when a book is given away.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Country Wildflowers kit by Laurie Ann