Friday, October 5, 2012

Celebration!!! It's a Party for Krista Phillips and Sandwich!

You know the hardest word for me to spell?

Sandwich. I struggle with this word more than random, more than rhythm, more than receipt and I'm going to be typing it probably about ten different times during this post, so forgive me if I utilize copy and paste. ;-)

WHY would I be writing the word SANDWICH so often in this post?? BECAUSE, my super special friend and Alley Cat Krista Phillips is here to CELEBRATE the release of her DEBUT NOVEL!!!!!!!


(and no, I cannot use too many ALL CAPS in this post, watch out. ;-)

So a super big, AWESOME welcome to Krista!!!

Did ya'll know that SANDWICH (woo-hoo, I spelled that one right on the first try!) is a real place? Who else things that everyone there is always hungry? Who wants to go to sandwich...?? ;-)

KRISTA, tell me about a fun fact about writing this book!
Photo credit: freedigitalphotos.net
I guess the funniest thing about DURING the writing were my mistakes. Yeah, I know. Mistakes? Funny? You see, I was born in Sandwich, IL and lived there until I was 5. We visited a lot after that, but still, I was pretty young. So many of my memories of Sandwich came from the slightly skewed memories of a 5 year old.  It was fun painting Sandwich from the lenses of my memories, and I did use many resources in my family and the Internet to check some facts. But... my 5 year old self still got some wrong. Like... The Yum Yum Shop is actually spelled Shoppe. AND... it closed down! Which is the biggest shame EVER because it was amazing! Oh, and my BIGGEST most awful mistake: I dedicated my book to my Grandma and Grandpa Johnson, which is all fine and good except I SPELLED MY GRANDMA'S NAME WRONG! Yes. Grandma's name is Lovina, but it sounds more like Lavina, and honestly? As a kid I always just heard her name spoken but if I ever wrote it, it was Grandma. Any birthday cards I got said "Grandma and Grandpa"  so had zero idea that it was an O instead of an A. I was more than a little mortified.

(Just so you know, this post is making me hungry. Just thought you ought to know that.) 

LOL! I could see me doing something like that. Why is it that only AFTER something is sent and gone and in print we see ALL THE MISTAKES WE SHOULD HAVE CAUGHT?? (can I get an AMEN??)

What's a fun fact about SANDWICH?

Photo credit: freedigitalphotos.net

There are a LOT of fun facts about Sandwich!! But one former Sandwich resident who read my book did email me a great fact that I didn't know! In Sandwich, they have this diner railroad car in the middle of town. Evidently, the dining car was supposedly from the campaign of Teddy Roosevelt.  In honor of Roosevelt's attempt at a new political party, it now has been rejuvenated as Bull Moose Bar and Grill.

They also have the Sandwich Fair, which is a HUGE attraction for the small town, is the longest continuously running county fair, and draws people from a pretty great distance. I've gotten quite a few notes from people saying, "Oh, I know Sandwich! We go to the fair there!"

How fun! You should write a sequel set around the fair time. Everybody loves a good local fair. ;-)

So, Krista...if you were making your PERFECT sandwich, what would it look like?

Take two pieces of light, fluffy white bread.

Take some jelly (preferably concord grape... strawberry is okay too but NOT RASPBERRY!!!!) and spread a nice thin layer all over one piece of bread.

Take some Jiffy CREAMY peanut butter (this does NOT work with crunch kind...) and spread a nice thin layer over the other piece of bread. Make sure no bread shows on that side on either pieces of bread.
Put the jelly side and peanut butter sides of the bread together.

Pair this with some Cheetos and a tall glass of milk, and maybe some chocolate chip cookies for dessert.

And now you have pretty close to the perfect lunch.

(FYI - if you sandwich crunches at any point of time while eating it.... YOU DID SOMETHING WRONG!)

Yummy! My favorite sandwich though? You'll have to forgive me, it's not PB&J...it's a grilled chicken salad sandwich with crisp lettuce and melted cheese....hmmm...have I already mentioned I'm hungry??

Photo credit: freedigitalphotos.net
I've been SO EXCITED to throw this party for Krista!

Krista and I have been on the Alley together for over two years and I've had a BLAST getting to know this woman. To celebrate the release of her DEBUT NOVEL has been one special event and I've been eager for this day for a loooooong time! Since the day she emailed all of us and told her Ramona Richards had bought her book. :D

It's been one AWESOME experience!

Photo credit: freedigitalphotos.net
In celebration of Krista's release, I'm throwin' a party (if you haven't figured that out already) and we're giving away a copy of her book! She's giving away a print copy and I'm offering up one ebook for the Kindle or Nook users out there.

BUT, don't comment yet!!

Krista and I have a super important question for you: (answer truthfully!)

What makes your PB&J perfect? Brand name? White or wheat? Crunchy or smooth? Jelly or jam? Create your perfect sandwhich  sandwich (broke my good sandwich spelling streak) in the comments and we just might give ya a book! :D

CONGRATULATIONS KRISTA!!!
Happy Party Day!

38 comments:

  1. Oh...I LOVE PB&J! That's my go to quick lunch most days of the week---and I have no kids at home anymore! Lol I prefer mine on VERY soft bread...doesn't matter if it's white or wheat. I like crunch in my sandwich but I'm not picky about brand and smooth PB is a great second choice. The JAM, yes jam MUST be grape...and I always put on too much and it drips out all over my plate! :) Congrats Krista on your debut novel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I never understood the difference between Jelly and Jam... honestly, I don't care as long as it is grape and doesn't in any way shape or form crunch!!!

      Thanks for stopping by our party, Brenda!!!!

      Delete
  2. What makes my PB&J sandwich perfect? Oh no doubt the butter that is spread on my multigrain bread. PB spreads much more smoothly if you add the butter first. I use only Jif reduced fat PB (I like smooth PB for this sandwich) and only Welsh's Strawberry Jam. First you spead the butter (must be real butter by the way and spread on both slices of bread), next comes the PB (both slices of bread), next is the Strawberry Jam (both slices of bread once again). Actually once in awhile throwing in a couple of sliced real strawberries is quite tasty too. (Must still use the jam though!). A few sliced bananas on top of one of the slices of prepared bread tops off the sandwich. Yummy! My mouth is watering right now!

    Blessings!
    Judy
    sweetpea.judy(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW... you put butter on first???? I've never heard of that!!

      Thanks for stopping by the party... now go have your PB,B,&J sandwich! :-)

      Delete
  3. I have to admit, I don't have a favorite P,B & J sandwich, mainly since I'm not real fond of peanut butter (almost un-American isn't it), but just wanted to say congrats on the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, thanks MaryAnn!!!

      I totally get that. My daughter is not a huge PB fan either:-)

      Delete
  4. A PBJ HAS to have homemade grape jelly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd totally go for that... as long as I'm not the one figuring out how to make the homemade jelly!

      Krista = not very kitchen inclined. HA!

      Delete
  5. I'm probably one of the 1% that hates PB&J, lol, so I really have no answer to the question. I very very rarely eat peanut butter and anything with PB in it, just don't like it.

    wfnren(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With all the PB allergies, I think your company is bigger than you thing!

      I'm not a fan of PB by itself, but don't mind it on a sandwich:-)

      Delete
  6. My favorite peanut butter and jelly is on a hamburger or hot dog roll. When I was in high school (some years ago)they would have chicken noodle soup and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on a hamburger bun. Comfort food!

    Congrats on the book!!!

    Doreen
    priviesandprims at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A hot dog bun??

      That sounds like at my house how I improvise when I'm accidently out of bread! :-)

      Comfort food... yes, PB&J totally qualifies!

      Delete
  7. Yay, Krista!! Congrats!!

    My ideal PB&J is strawberry jam and creamy pb (creamy all the way!) on whole wheat bread. Yum, yum.

    And now I'M hungry!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Casey, I totally struggle with spelling sandwich correctly as well! Glad to know I'm in good company ;)

    I have a confession to make...I've never eaten a PB&J sandwich. EVER. I don't know what it is. I love PB (only if it's crunchy) and I like jam (as long as there's not too many seeds in it) but something has put me off eating the two of them together, LOL! My husband does love PB&J sandwiches, though. I've made them for him several times since we've got married. The last one I made was on white bread (I can't eat wholemeal, so everything in our house is white) with crunchy peanut butter and apricot jam, just because that's what we had on hand. Apparently it was good! I'll have to be brave and give it a try sometime. ;)

    Also, congrats Krista! Your novel sounds like a lot of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not EVER???? Holy cow. Someone get this girl a PB&J STAT!

      :-)

      Delete
  9. My perfect PB&J is made with a hot toasted English muffin. I love to mix creamy peanut butter with raspberry jam on the muffin for a yummy meal. I pair it with coffee with french vanilla cream. Oh!
    I'd love to win this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow!! You're getting fancy on us! I LOVE a good English muffin with jelly, have never added PB to it thought. might have to try that!

      Delete
  10. Casey and Krista together? What a treat!

    Congratulations on your release, Krista! I finished reading Sandwich, with a Side of Romance a couple of days ago and loved it. I expected the funny parts. What I didn't expect was the awesome job you did dealing with some tough issues. This was an entertaining read, but it's a story that the Lord can use to help gals like Maddie learn that He loves them no matter what. Well done, my friend.

    I don't care for jelly, but I do like extra crunchy peanut butter on crackers every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS, Keli!!! I really appreciate it!!! I love writing "funny" but I'll never be able to stay away from tackling some of those more difficult issues. It's where my heart is:-)

      *walks away mumbling about the perils of crunch peanut butter...**

      *grin*

      Delete
  11. Casey, this post was a lot of fun! And, yes, now I want a PB&J sandwich! My favorite is with very soft white bread, Smucker's strawberry jam and Jif creamy peanut butter.(crunchy peanut butter just tears the bread and adds way too much peanut flavor to the sandwich; and you seem to be chewing forever) I couldn't believe it when Krista said to eat it with Cheetos; because that is my all time favorite 'chips' to eat with a PB&J sandwich. It seems to compliment it very well. Add a tall glass of milk and you're all set! I would love to win a copy of Krita's book, it sounds great!
    debsbunch5@jesusanswers.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. PB, hold the J. Seriously. I don't always like jelly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. .... but do you add bananas to that PB sometimes??? :-)

      Delete
  13. Hmmmm...well, I start with SaraLee 100% Whole Wheat bread. Spread on a (not too thick) layer of Jif Creamy Peanut Butter, spread Welch's Grape Jelly on top, cover with 2nd piece of bread and cut in half diagonally. And, my favorite chips to accompany it? Sweet and Spicy Jalapeno! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ohhhh, I'll totally let you keep the Jalapeno chips... you can share with my hubby who LOVES THEM.

      And... I just gotta say... Reuben is an AWESOME name!

      Delete
  14. When I go on my mission trip each July we have PBJ for lunch each day we are out in the field. I love them any way. We have so man different kinds but Skippy creamy and Grape jelly is my fav. Great post, can't wait to read the book. God bless you both.

    Glenda Parker

    ReplyDelete
  15. can you believe that i never ate a PBJ sandwich.

    casey, a fun post!
    krista, looking forward to reading your fabulous novel

    karenk
    kmkuka at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on the book! I don't eat PB&J.

    bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Indeed, Congratulations Krista and happy party Day!

    No need to enter me in the drawing, please because I already have the book and am reading it very soon!

    Thank you for sharing! All the best to you :-)

    Oh, and those yummy sandwich pics look just fine! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. White bread toasted with peter pan creamy pb and the grape jelly. YUM! makeighleekyleigh@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. soft bread with natural peanut butter and GRAPE jelly...sometimes I use peach jelly

    ReplyDelete
  20. I use whole wheat bread, crunchy peanut butter and either grape jelly or homemade plum jelly. I take my lunch to work so I have these 2 or 3 times a week. I actually had one for lunch today made with plum jelly.
    The book looks like it will be fun to read. I'd love to win a printed copy.
    Thanks for giving one away.

    pmk56[at]sbcglobal[dot]net

    ReplyDelete
  21. A town called Sandwich, that's so cool! I wonder if there's a town out there called Donut or Pie? Guys, y'all are making me huuunnngry! BTW in my neck of the woods we tend to pronounce sandwich, "sammich." LOL we Southerwestern PA peeps have a language all our own and sometimes you have to be from the area to understand us!

    Congrats on the new book Krista :-)

    xoxo,
    Renee C.
    p.s. Personally I prefer Nutella to a peanut butter sandwich.
    (not an entry)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I already bought this book, so no need to enter me. Just came to cheerlead for the wonderful Krista! The best peanut butter sandwich is PB & Company Cinnamon Raisin Peanut Butter on Pepperidge Farm Country White bread with Simply Fruit raspberry. Even better hot in the panini maker.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love PB sandwiches - crunchy or smooth, white or wheat :). No jam or jelly though!! I recently discovered a brand called Essential Living Foods. The ingredients of the peanut butter are just raw wild jungle peanuts, raw peanut oil and pink himalyan salt - I like it a lot!

    Jes
    jswaks at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  24. KRISTA!!! LOVE the cover and LOVE the name, and I have NO DOUBT I will love the story too!! SUPER CONGRATS, MY FRIEND -- hope you serve up a million!!

    Uh-oh ... I love PBJ, but with the "J." Although since I love crunchy peanut butter on wheat and my name begins with "J," does that count???

    Hugs,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  25. My husband's favorite PBJ sandwich would be creamy honey peanut butter & Mayhall jelly spread on either potato bread or sourdough bread.
    You can only get Mayhall jelly in the panhandle of Florida where he lived.
    So once a year we make our annual trip to visit relatives and stock up on Mayhall jelly.
    Thanks for entering me in your book contest.
    Janet Estridge.
    von1janet@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by, I love to hear from those who traffic my blog! Have a wonderful day. :)

FTC Rules

According to new FTC rules I must let you, the reader know, that all views shared on this blog are strictly my own. Books to review are either provided for me by the author, publisher or ones I have purchased and I am under no obligation whatsoever to present anything, but my true opinion on any product. I receive no monetary compensation for anything written on this blog. Any giveaways on this blog are provided by the author/ publisher and I am not responsible for any views they express in their work or on this site. Giveaways are void were prohibited and chances of winnng are based on the number of applicants. A random winner is draw when a book is given away.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Country Wildflowers kit by Laurie Ann